Simply put, you need to have routine WordPress website maintenance if your website is a critical part of your business.
You change the oil, filter, rotate the tires, and give your car periodic tune-ups. Shouldn’t your website, a crucial part of your business, be getting the same level of attention?
Your business website is designed to generates leads, customers and revenue. It’s often the first impression that you make to a visit, prospect or customer. Routine WordPress maintenance is critical to ensure your site ids ready to serve your audience 24/7 with zero or minimal interruption.
All software is a target for hackers. Don’t leave your site vulnerable.
All software needs updating and that includes your WordPress site. More and more websites are getting hacked and attacked. Even the big guys like Twitter and Facebook are getting hit. Staying updated is important to reduce the risk of such attacks.
Do It Yourself?
I know a few people that can and like to change the oil in their car. I don’t. I don’t know how, nor do I want to spend the time doing it. I’d rather take it to someone to do it for me, and do it right.
Besides, keeping your website up to date, backed up and secure can be time consuming and yes, a little tedious. And for the same reason I don’t want to change my oil, it takes you away from what you should or want to be doing. Web technology continues change and evolve quickly. If you’re like me, I’d rather let the pros do what they do best.
My brother-in-law’s nephew does websites! : (
You have options. You are free to entrust your investment to a distant relative that dabbles in WordPress on the side. You can also keep your website managed by your hosting provider – some offer it. We recommend that you use WordPress experts that are using the software on a daily, and even better, have a familiarity with your particular website.
Finding the Right Help
Finding someone who know WordPress well is key. Even better is having someone that knows your site well. We’ve been using WordPress consistently for over 8 and have built hundred os sites on it.
So, what should be done?
Need WordPress maintenance, update and backup help? Here are the services that should be included in routine WordPress maintenance services.
- Backup and Restore – Daily is best, especially id you are updating your site often.
- Software Updates – You can do this automatically in WordPress, but it’s best to have someone with expertise do it methodically.
- Plugin Update – Plugin updates can be tricky. Best to trust a pro.
- Network Securtity – Get someone t monitor your website and nasty intruders out.
- Database Cleaning and Optimization – making sure that your website runs as smoothly as it can.
- Uptime Monitoring – It’s a good thing for someone knowledgable to be alerted when something goes down.
- Reporting – Find a service that will let you know when maintenance has been performed. Stay in the loop without getting your hands dirty.
Some “nice to haves” – it’s always food to get a little extra attention:
- Priority Support – It’s nice to have someone to go to when issues arise. It’s even nicer to go to the front of the line!
- Broken Link Fix – A great bonus. Search engines don’t like broken links and neither do your visitors.
- Site Review – Tips on how to improve your site performance, from SEO, to usability.