Did you know that you can easily track phone calls from your Google AdWords Ads? By tracking calls from your AdWords you’ll have better insight as to how your campaigns are performing for your call only ads or ads with a call extension.
How Does Google Tracks Phone Calls?
To track calls from your AdWords Ads, Google allows you to create a forwarding phone number. Note: Call extensions in Display-only ad campaigns do not support forwarding numbers.
What Do I Need to Track Phone Calls from AdWords.
How Do I Create a Call Conversion?
- Sign into your Google AdWords Account. If you manage multiple accounts, click on one of them in your dashboard.
- On the far right of the top navigation bar, click on the “Tools” tab, then select “Conversions” from the drop-down menu.
- Next, click the red “+Conversions” button
You’ll then be given three options to choose from:
- Requires adding a tag to your website and using Google forwarding numbers, which are only available in certain countries.
- equires adding a tag to your mobile website.
Select the first option – “Calls from ads using call extensions or call-only ads“.
The next screen will present a list of option to you:
- Name: Give your conversion a distinct name
- Value: You can assign a monetary value to each successful conversion
- Call Length: Set how long your call need to last to be considered a conversion (in seconds).
- Count: How you count your conversions. e.g. if one click leads to three purchases does it count as 1 or three conversions?
- Conversion Window: This is how long after the initial click will you track (in days).
- Category: Is the conversion considered a lead, a purchase, a sign-up…?
- Include in “Conversions”: Include data for this conversion action in your “Conversions” column, used by any conversion-based bid strategies you may have set.
Create a Call Extension
To complete set-up your conversion action, you can create or edit an existing call extension or call-only ad you want to track. Here’s how you create a Call Extension:
- Choose the “Add Extension” tab.
- Under the first dropdown menu, choose “Call Extensions”.
- Click the “+ Extension” button, select a campaign
- In the modal window, choose “Show my ad with a Google Forwarding Number”, and add your number in the box above.